Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Christopher Hitchens: Find your Voice

Christopher Hitchens is without doubt, one of my favourite writers of all time. He is a columnist, most notably (for me) a contributing editor for Vanity Fair. His writing is both intelligent, humourous and never pointless. He's doing what I wish to do: be acclaimed for my words and use them wisely.

Unfortunately he was diagnosed with cancer and it's progressing intensively. I'm honestly upset that we could lose such a magnificent genius of literature. In his latest article on vanityfair.com, he speaks on how important one's voice is. His voice now barely audible due to the cancer, he's realised the value of a vocal tool for writers.

It's a revolutionary article for me, because I often question my 'voice' as a writer; whether or not I'll make it, whether or not I'm even good enough. But his article is succinct in explaining that to have a voice as all, is a valuable start.

So, read the article, for sure:
http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2011/06/christopher-hitchens-unspoken-truths-201106

Although I don't think it's necessary, I'll note he is a committed atheist. I recall seeing many DVD's where he's featured in religious/science debates against Christian professors and pastors arguing for the case of atheism. Although I believe wholeheartedly in the grace, love and mercy of Jesus Christ, Hitchens' conviction in what he believes, and the sheer eloquency of his statements are something I admire. I may disagree, but I don't think one could overlook his intelligence. Jesus is still, most definitely, for the win.

I'd hesitate to say Hitchens is an idol (I find the statement juvenile), but I would say he's a hero of mine.

No comments: